Re: [Usability] Double-click [in notification area]?

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 13:46 -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 23:27 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
>
> > 1) makes selecting a single file/object prone to erroneus launching
>
> Except that one is a very serious and fatal problem with single-click.
> You absolutely need to be able to select objects.  With single click you
> simple can't do it.  At all.  This is the reason why double-click was
> created in the first place: to overcome exactly this problem.  You can't
> just count up the number of pros and cons and decide based on which has
> more.

Dare I bring this up again (yes, yes, yes).  My mouse has three buttons.
My notebook emulates three.  The middle button is paste, and is paste
only in *ix platforms.  Many user migrating to GNOME don't know about
the middle button paste feature.  I dare say the first encounter a user
has with middle button paste is when he pushes too hard on the wheel.

I love the wheel, and I do not like random text being pasted into my
documents.  I select more often then paste, and I prefer to paste by
keyboard and context menu to be certain of my action.

Steel the middle button for select.  Let left button drag the select for
the default option.  Use middle button drag for option actions.

PS.  We create the official GNOME mouse with thumb button, and keyboard
with system keys.  We sell the essential gear are store.gnome.org and
subsidize a costly test to prove this is the right decision.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.