Re: [Usability] Detailed menus

At 06:19 AM 8/11/2004, Vidar Braut Haarr wrote:

That looks really nice! :) However, I don't think it's a very good idea. When you've got a fresh GNOME install, the only things you should really see in the menu are the Generic Names, and they should be descriptive enough not to require a description. And if you then install a secondary application for the same purpose, you are sure to know about it, and so you already know how to distinguish between them.

I don't think that we can assume that the user will know how to distinguish them. A couple of instances where the user might not know:

* Someone else installed the application. This is certainly common in a corporate environment where certain applications come pre-installed on a user's machine. But even at home, on my server, there are two of us who might install something, so there are occasionally things that the other person installed that I don't know about. Another example would be a computer that's shared across a larger group of people, such as a library kiosk.

* The user installed the application some time ago, and hasn't used it in awhile, so has forgotten what it is.

I do agree that the extra text could add some clutter to the menu. But on first glance, I think that I like this idea better than I like tooltips. On a short menu, I think the extra text wouldn't be too bad. I share the concern that a couple of others have expressed that it might be too much clutter on a long menu. I'm also somewhat concerned about where that text comes from -- I'd hate to have something like this broken if a developer for a new application could come in and try to stuff 4 lines of descriptive text in there. But overall (and with some safeguards in place to ensure that the descriptions aren't too long), I probably wouldn't mind it if it were an option that I could turn on and off.

/nm