Re: [Usability] notification - design proposal

Alan Horkan wrote:

These seem like a follow on to the 'useful but non-essentail' notification
features seen in Micrsoft Office XP Edition, which (I was told) do not
take focus and interrupt your typing and go away if you ignore them (but
isn't that what the status bar is for I thought!).

The difference is that these ones are supposed to inform you of system events or messages, like a change in network connection status, or that Yet Another Windows Security Patch Is Available for Download. For these sorts of messages, there isn't really a relevant application status bar in which to post the message, and an alert box would be annoying.

Cheeri,
Calum.