Re: [Usability] Console with toolbar

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 21:04, Xan wrote:
> Dijous 08 Abril 2004 17:28, en/na David Christian Berg (<David Christian Berg
> <david berg gmx net>>) va escriure:
>
> > I don't quite understand the point of having a toolbar in the terminal.
> > I mean it's the concept of a terminal to be text-based. Tabs are handy
> > though, cause one can have more than one terminal within one window.
> >

> And toolbar are handy too: one can _easyly_ do things faster (create one tab
> just by clicking in an icon, select the codification by clicking in
> codification icon)

That's nothing but bloating Xan.

Of course you can think a toolbar is useful but, why not a side panel
file browser? or, what about a splitter window instead of tabs?, then we
can implement a built into print preview and a shortcuts panel in the
left as the evolution's one.

As you can see there are lot's of things that can be added to the console but,
are they needed ?

> Have you got a toolbar in gnome? Why?. Thinking about

Well, my point of view: I don't use gnome-terminal because it takes long
to load. I use xterm that's lighter and loads quicker.

Adding more items to the gnome-terminal, it will take even longer to
load, and will be even less useful to me.

> It's not for doing more things, it's for doing things more faster or in a more
> comfortable way. At least for more people.

That's your point of view.

I prefer a faster load, than a couple of buttons in the console.

> > [snip]
> >
> > > Another very handy feture would be copy & paste buttons.

Select a chunk of text and then click the third button in your mouse, or
two buttons at a time if your mouse have not three buttons ( and you've
got three buttons emulation configured ) and you'll get the quicker cut
& paste possible.

> And yes,
> > > encoding button would be very handy.

It should be taken from your locale.

> Right-click menu too can be enhanced
> > > with this option - why there are only input method - what about output?
> >
> > What about ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-v?
>
> What about "click"?

I don't see an enhancement here, just more bloating.

You can yet copy & paste with a click. No need for a button to do it.

Right now, to build a console the way you want is straightforward.

Any experienced GTK programmer can  easily and quickly do the work.

There's a vte terminal widget with most functionallity implemented.

May be better to ask for help and start a project in SourceForge to
build a toolbar enabled console.

If it become the choice of most users, I'm sure you'll get big and good
reasons to ask for changes here, not just "It's my preference" that is a
really weak reason.

ITOH, have you tried to find it ?
http://multignometerm.sourceforge.net/
http://multignometerm.sourceforge.net/web/screenshots.shtml