Re: [Usability] GNOME UI principle: All applications should save internal state?

I think this is would be useful and is a great idea, but allow me to extend it. I believe that users should have the option of saving the state, but shouldn't be required to save it. Currently applications are either on or off. My idea in a nutshell is to introduce a third state: sleeping. A sleeping application would essentially be an "off" application which has a saved state associated with it. When an application is put to sleep it quits the application and saves the state information. I think this is a good idea for several reasons. It is a very simple idea, and i think it is intuitive as well. Users are already familiar with this concept at an OS level. It doesn't interfere with user's expectations about what quiting an application should do. Emblems could be used to designate with applications are "sleeping" and which applications are not. This would also serve as an indicator of which applications have saved states so the user knows before they start the app what is going to happen.

John

PS: sorry if my lines don't wrap.