Re: [Usability] GNOME UI principle: All applications should saveinternal state?

At 08:15 AM 4/5/2004, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:

I think that saving application state only makes sense if the application
has
been terminated (but not closed by user). For example, when the browser has
been showing some page and you logoff without shutting down the browser.

I'm not certain if I agree with this statement. I often logoff without bothering to shut down all of my applications. I think that I'd be annoyed if I logged in again, opened my browser, and found that it had opened four tabs to the various sites that I'd previously been using. I'd be doubly annoyed if they were sites that required me to login, such as my bank. Either they'd log themselves in again (which would raise security concerns), or I'd be at a timeout page (which essentially means that the state wasn't saved).

Otherwise, if you close the application manually there is no point to
restore application state unless you ask the application to (selecting some
menu item?)

I'm not certain if that's true, either. For example, when I'm on my Windows box, I use a program called NoteTab as a replacement for Notepad. One of the reasons that I like NoteTab is that it saves some state information. If I close the application when I have some files open, it automatically opens those files again when I open NoteTab. I often use this functionality for files that I edit frequently. I also use it if I'm in the middle of editing several files and need to reboot.

Reading over this, I realise that this is inconsistent behaviour on my part. I don't expect my web browser to save state (and even think that it would be annoying in some instances), whereas I do expect NoteTab to save state. But having the web browser save state in certain instances (say, doing some research and getting interrupted in the middle of it) would be useful. Is my expectation simply based on what would be easiest for me, or the current functionality of the applications in question? I certainly got used to NoteTab saving its state quite quickly, and developed habits that exploit its behaviour. So wouldn't I get used to my web browser doing the same just as quickly, and develop similar habits? Hmmmm. That's an interesting question that I can't answer immediately.

/nm