Re: [Usability] Notification area abuse has started...

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 16:04, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> On 2003.09.15 15:21, Julien Olivier wrote:
> ..
> >
> > I'd just like to say that it's _already_ a nightmare... Look at major
> > apps like gnomemeeting, rhythmbox or GAIM. They just put an icon in the
> > notification area that just does... nothing.
> >

> The gaim icon notifies me I have new messages and keeps notifying me until I
> click it. What's your point ?

Well, when I launch GAIM (0.68), it connects and opens a "buddy list"
window as well as an icon in the notification area. If I click on the
icon in the notification area, it hides the "buddy list" window and
vice-versa. This icon in the notification area is totally useless as it
doesn't inform me of anything. But you're right that in the case of
GAIM, you aso have a notification when you got a new message, which is
good.