Re: [Usability] Notification area abuse has started...

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:59, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2003091201726NWGNRL
>
> Somehow we have to get the message across that the notification area is
> for *notification* purposes, not for stupid gimmicks. If we don't stop
> this abuse, the notification area will be like a windows systray nightmare
> in no time...

I'd just like to say that it's _already_ a nightmare... Look at major
apps like gnomemeeting, rhythmbox or GAIM. They just put an icon in the
notification area that just does... nothing.

My opinion on this is that apps like rhythmbox, gnomemeeting or GAIM
should just use the notification area to alert the user when something
happened. For example, when the music being played has changed or when a
buddy sent you a message.

That's just my humble opinion though...