Re: [Usability] Single click directory navigation?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:19:45 +0300
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 19:03, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> > Has the idea of single click directory navigation (click once on a directory to enter it) ever been considered for the FOSA dialog? This is used in Deluxe Paint and GQView for example and I like it very much. (I'm lazy and clicking once is half the job of click twice, right?)
> >
> > The only drawback I can think of in inconsistency with how lists
> > usually work. You can not have a directory in the list selected, but
> > that isn't useful anyway. And double clicking will still function the
> > same.
>
> Selecting multiple files at once also becomes impossible or hard to do.

No. I guess I was a little too brief in explaining my idea. First of all it provides that there is one directory list and one file list (which I prefer). And the single click short cut only applies to the directory navigation list, not to the file selection list. If a tree view is used instead of a plain list a single click will do the job anyway I guess.

But I'm not sure how to do with directory selection dialogs. (which I believe should be a different dialog). But my initial thought was disable singe navigation in selection lists (whatever it's a file or directory you select) and only enable it for directory navigation lists.

(I will post my thoughts about a directory selection dialog later.)