Re: [Usability] RFP: File chooser user interface

I prefer to err on the side of caution, removing crosspost to
gtk-devel-list, I'll repost there if requested.

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Vidar Braut Haarr wrote:

> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:57:44 +0200
> From: Vidar Braut Haarr <vidar lanklan org>
> To: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
> Cc: usability gnome org, gtk-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] RFP: File chooser user interface
>
> Here is my proposal-mockup:
>
> /------------ Open/Save As ----------\
> |                                    |
> | Location: < /etc/             (V)> |
> |     File: < nifty stuff       (V)> |

File short for "File type" presumably?

I'm not sure about having the location on top (I am sure I don't think it
is a good idea, but I am trying to be polite).

Firstly it is different from what others (Microsoft, KDE, current Gnome)
are doing, which gives you a hint that it might be good and that you need
a really good reason to be inconsistant

Culturally we Europeans read from left to right, down the page top to
bottom.  Well designed user interfaces take this into account and the flow
of actions leads from left to right, from the top of the page to the
bottom.

In a file open dialog my belief is that ordinary users are more likely to
select the file by pointing and clicking on the icons, finding the file is
the major first part of the task.  As users are likely to already be
moving through the folders it is easiest to select the file from their
than to type out the filename.  Also If the application does automatic
opening by file type properly then i dont expect file type to be used very
often either (and then to filter down the list of files current shown more
than anything else, smarter applications will defualt to show all
supported file types rather than just all types).

The location bar is more important in saving becuase user have to specify
a file name, filename completions and suggestion (next in sequence) would
make this easier.  With good default folders or preset locations such as a
standard $HOME/Documents/ folder, hopefully user wont need to do much
searching when saving and the task will largely be just to name, give
title to the document.

(That does not even begin to address the people who wish to have autosave
everwhere and make saving/exporting a rare archaic action.  I for one
welcome not having to save every email as it arrives, automatic saving
when it is done right will be a very signifcant improvement)

> 1. Location and Filename text-dropdown-thingys
> They are placed at the top because they are the two controls that will
> be used most frequently.

I definately disagree for the Open Dialog for the reasons above and I am
inclined to believe ordinary users favour point and click over typing in
location boxes.

Determining file type automatically by extension works fairly well for
saving files (although it should probably default to the application
native file format if none is provided) but I could not be sure how often
users really choose the file type.  The blissful ignorance of most users
to the Microsoft Word Document file type leads me to believe ordinary
users dont want to know about file types at all.

> Both accept text-inputs, ofcourse.
> The Location control should dropdown a list of mounts, root-level
> directories, common locations (perhaps recent locations as well ?) and
> application-suggested locations, like this:

Preset values, excellent but most applications will consider slightly
different locations to be the most interesting.  I'm not sure if a full
blown bookmarking/shortcuts widget is needed (a Quick Folders, section in
the nautilus bookmarks for save locations perhaps)

> The filename control should dropdown a list of recently used
> desktop-wide filenames. The application behind the dialog should also be
> able to suggest filenames here. Pressing 'enter' while focused
> saves/opens the file.

it would be great if typing
.
..
new folder/
and hitting return after each should
refresh
move you up a directory and
should tell you the path doesnot exist and ask if you want to create a new
folder

the location box could be very poweful and have lots of unobtrusive
features (all kinds of regular expressions) for the power user.
being able to undo changes made to what you have typed in the location box
and having the location string tokenised for better selection behaviour
are more little details that make a huge difference.

> 2. Select location
> This is a button with an arrow that dropdowns the nautilus control and
> the 'only show' option. When clicked, the state should be saved and used
> desktop wide. Perhaps it should also default to 'down'.

> I know I said that I would elaborate later, but I won't. I'm too tired
> :) There are lots of unresolved issues with this proposal though.

> Well, bring on the flamewars !

I think we can manage to keep this civilised.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

PS I wrote this yesterday late at night and skim read it again today but
there are probalby some glaring errors.