Re: [Usability] Rubberbanding data

Hi Gregory,

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 19:40, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> Gnumeric allows mouse-only resizing of a selection with a handle on
> the bounding box of the focused selection. Dia objects have handles
> that allow (some of) them to be resized. Resizable windows have borders
> that (on Windows or with Metacity) allow them to be resized.
>
> If GtkTreeView had a border on the selection containing focus, it could
> allow mouse-only resizing of the selection in a similar way.

A resizable bounding box that stays in its place after releasing the
mouse button isn't suitable for selecting in gtktrees, bacause the
selection refers to objects. If you drag the rectangle you're actually
preselecting, you confirm the selection by releasing the mouse button,
which means that the selection box isn't needed anymore.

But you raised an important issue in the current terminology. What you
described is exactly a *bounding box* whereas what i described should be
refered to as *rubberbanding*. I have also described why it was most
probably called rubberbanding in one of my earlier posts. The behaviour
is very similar to a real rubberband(stretching and releasing).

Marek