Re: [Usability] Tab view in Panther vs Jaguar

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 19:28, Hasbullah Bin Pit wrote:
> I've notice that tab view in MacOSX Jaguar and panther is so different.
>
> http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/003/panther/macosx-10.3-4.html#tab-views
>
> any comment about it?
>
> my comment is, Panther tab view doesnt look like a tab.
> it might confuse user.
>
> but, i dont know why the did the tab view like that.

I can't help myself, but my feelingg is that the tab approach is much
better. It's purpose is to "bring forward" what's visible. The new
jaguar design doesn't do that anymore. The other thing that disappeared
is that each tab belongs to (or is asociated with) a pane or a page,
which is another helpful feature. The only visible hint becomes the blue
color which makes it less obvious what belongs where. MacOSX has got
some very cool ideas, but i think that in this case they've gone a bit
too far.

Marek