Re: [Usability] Re: My (ongoing) analysis of the proposed modules

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 13:57, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 06:26:23PM -0500, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > (desktop-devel-list dropped)

> > > I called it that originally, but I thought Zoom would make
> > > more sense to users. It means exactly the same thing that it
> > > means in mozilla/galeon/epiphany, after all.
> >
> > I think that's a bug there too. :-) Zoom only changes the font size; it does
> > not increase image size. On this point, I think Microsoft got it right with
> > View->Fonts->{size list}
>
> Well, this is what I get for not checking.
>
> In Mozilla, the submenu is "Text Zoom," so it does say what it does.
>
> Epiphany 0.6.0 (at least) has a "Normal Size" menu item.
>
> I don't know about galeon; I don't have it installed anymore.
>
> So, for Epiphany, I'd suggest "Zoom In" and "Zoom Out" be changed to
> something that indicates it's the text size that changes.
> Perhaps "_Larger Text" and "S_maller Text".
>
> Or, hey, copy Safari 1.0b:
>  Make Text Bigger
>  Make Text Smaller
>
> (According to http://lib-www.lanl.gov/changeFont.htm )

Galeon uses Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Normal Size.  This issue seems to
come up all over the place.  It came up in Yelp bug #88115, for
instance.  The advantage of using Zoom In and Zoom Out is that I never
go to my menu.  I have the shortcuts Ctrl++ and Ctrl+-.  (And, according
to the HIG, I should have Ctrl+= for Normal Size, but Galeon doesn't
give it to me.)

The HIG should really advise on this issue so that all of the apps can
do the same thing.  I think Larger Text and Smaller Text items are good
(pick more suitable names as you please), and we should overload the
Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- (and possibly Ctrl+= for Normal Text Size) for them.
After all, font-sizing and zooming are similar operations, and it is
very unlikely an application will ever need to both.  Then somebody
should make pretty icons and put stock menu items into GTK+.  :)

--
Shaun