Re: [Usability]Re: Toolbar editor

--- Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:

> Another interesting behavior of the MS Office
> toolbar is the notion
> of action priority.  As the toolbar is shrunk the
> items are not just
> removed in order.  They seem to be dissappeared
> depending on
> priority.
>
>     eg the font name is wide and not used alot so it
> vanishes early
>     	even though it is on the left side.
>
> I'm not sure I like the idea.  Thoughts ?

A problem that I have with this "feature" is that it
supposes that you only "use" an item when you click on
it.

In your example, the font name is considered to not be
used if the user doesn't changes the font name.  But
the font name combo box is not only useful to change
the current font name.  I actually use it to "see"
what the current font name is.

So I'm using it, but the computer has no way to know
it, so it makes the font name disappear.  Most of the
toolbar items have this "double use".  For me the
"dynamic toolbar" is rather a bug than a feature.

Cheers,

=====
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
e98cuenc at yahoo dot com