Re: [Usability]Keeping the Quit menu item

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 06:09:36PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> What do you mean by "the application"?
>
> I agree we have such a concept, but it isn't clear to me that the
> concept of application that we have is a thing that can be started and
> stopped (or quit, or switched to). I don't have any object on the
> screen that represents "the application," that can be operated on.
> What would it mean to "start gnome-terminal the application" vs.
> "open a gnome-terminal window"? Does that mean anything?

Here of course I mean to contrast with the Mac, where IIRC you can
switch to an application and see the app in the list of active apps
and so forth, even if the app has no open windows. But we don't have a
list of active apps, or a way to switch to an app, or any sense in
which an app can be open but not have a window.

Havoc