Re: [Usability]Notification Area guidelines

Hey Calum,

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 01:28, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 02:01, Rodney Dawes wrote:
>

> > If your status icon needs preferences for the status icon
> > itself, then you are doing something wrong. A "Preferences" option in
> > the right click menu to load the application's preferences, makes sense.
>
> The "Remove Icon" option in the menu that Mark suggested is intended to
> be a shortcut to the "Show status in notification area" preference in
> the application's Preferences dialog.  It's not a preference of the icon
> itself.  I don't think he really made that clear...

	Yeah, that's what I meant. I just don't want the scenario of Q: "I'd
really like to not get notification of new emails - I get like 10, 000
new ones every minute" ... A: "Well you have to open up Evolution, go to
the Tools/Settings, and in there go to Mail Settings. In the
notification area tab there's a 'show notification on the panel' option.
Turn it off there. You see - easy."

	I don't think I need another stupid butler analogy to show that it
would be much better if you could just right-click on an icon and select
"Hide Icon" or something.

	And no, I haven't decided how I'm going to implement that yet. We'll
figure that out later.

> If the application didn't have a "Show status in notification area"
> preference, but just always showed the icon anyway, then the icon
> clearly wouldn't have a "Hide Icon" menu item because there would be no
> way of turning it back on :)  But always showing the icon would be a
> pretty unpleasant thing to do anyway IMHO.

	Well, that should probably be part of the guidlines - "Allow the icon
to be hidden".

Good Luck,
Mark.