Re: [Usability]Notification Area guidelines

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 02:01, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> If your status icon needs preferences for the status icon
> itself, then you are doing something wrong. A "Preferences" option in
> the right click menu to load the application's preferences, makes sense.

The "Remove Icon" option in the menu that Mark suggested is intended to
be a shortcut to the "Show status in notification area" preference in
the application's Preferences dialog.  It's not a preference of the icon
itself.  I don't think he really made that clear...

If the application didn't have a "Show status in notification area"
preference, but just always showed the icon anyway, then the icon
clearly wouldn't have a "Hide Icon" menu item because there would be no
way of turning it back on :)  But always showing the icon would be a
pretty unpleasant thing to do anyway IMHO.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Group                      +353 1 819 9771

desktop-devel-list mailing list
desktop-devel-list gnome org