Re: [Usability]Re: Notification Area guidelines

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 20:55, Evan Martin wrote:
> Well, there is a rationalization, sorta: you really are closing the window,
> in that it's not visible anymore and it's not in the standard list of
> minimized windows.  The difference here is that you intend to get rid of
> the window and not the application.
>
> So I could imagine someone becoming equally confused by your proposed
> behavior: they'll click the minimize button and the window will suddenly
> disappear from the window list (which any casual user likely thinks of
> as a task list).
>
> I'm not suggesting that close-hides behavior is better; I'm just pointing
> out that it's not as cut-and-dry as you might think.

I just implemented having clicking on the tray icon do iconify/present
(to handle multiple workspaces), and I have to say that close-hides is
the better behaviour for at least the IM instance. In most cases where
it is an application which is putting a status icon in the window, you
want to hide the main window when you click the close button on the
titlebar, as you don't want it in the windowlist any longer. So, if the
tray icon is embedded, clicking close should gtk_widget_hide () the main
window, and if the icon is not embedded, it should exit the application.
I think standardizing on something like this is the best way to go. It
just seems to be the right thing to do.

-- dobey