[Usability]Re: Notification Area guidelines

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:48:06PM +1300, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 12:32, Alex Duggan wrote:
> > Closing the gaim main
> > window keeps gaim running in the notification area while closing
> > gnomeicu completely exits the program and removes it from the
> > notification area.
>
> 	I think the gnomeicu approach is much, much more sane. If you think
> about it from the "software should act like a butler" analogy, the gaim
> approach is like telling your butler you have no need of his services to
> which he responds by running behind the sofa and staying there until you
> roar "will you ever F**K off and leave me alone!".
>
> 	We don't need "minimise", "close" and "really close" buttons imho.

WRT user expectation, my Windows-using (non-geek) friend came over the
other day and hit the close button on my GAIM window.  He expected it to
minimize, but since I wasn't using the GNOME version, it closed GAIM,
and he got confused and a bit frustrated.

(Now that I ask my girlfriend about it, she claims the Windows AIM has
the close=reallyclose behavior, but I'm not sure where else the above
friend would've learned his expectation from.)

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu