[Usability]Re: Nautilus toolbar simplification

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 13:55, Michael Toomim wrote:

>    o As for "Stop" -- why would you ever want nautilus to freeze in the
>      middle of displaying a directory?  Or any other type of file?  I
>      think that this button is rarely useful.

I'm not sure this can go safely.  What about remote file systems?  SMB,
NFS, FTP, WebDAV - all of these could use a stop button about as much as
a web browser could.

>    o "Home" is accessible from many other locations: I have a link on
[snip]

The user's home is available in many places, yes, but toolbar inclusion
is decided by how frequently a function is used by most users, according
to the HIG anyhow.  While having it in those other places is nice, I'd
guess it's popular enough that it deserves a toolbar button, too.

>    o "Reload" shouldn't be needed if FAM et. al. is doing its job, right?
>      And if it IS needed, you have View->Reload and Ctrl-R.

See my argument about the stop button.

In your mockup, you also ditch the spinner, which also must stay, for
slower machines, for huge directories, and again, remote filesystems.

That said, moving the zoom and "view as" controls up into the main
toolbar and ditching the location bar in the default view aren't too bad
an idea.

 - jck

--
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man
progress depends on the unreasonable man."

 - George Bernard Shaw