[Usability] Re: [Fwd: Re: Your final comments on gswitchit in 2.4...]
- From: "Andrew W. Nosenko" <awn bcs zp ua>
- To: "Sergey V. Oudaltsov" <sergey oudaltsov clients ie>
- Cc: Christian Rose <menthos gnome org>, gnome-i18n gnome org, usability gnome org
- Subject: [Usability] Re: [Fwd: Re: Your final comments on gswitchit in 2.4...]
- Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:22:53 +0300
Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:
: >instead. The flag customization and the secondary layout feature you
: >describe very much sounds like such workaround functionality to me.
: Well, flag customization issue is already solved here (remove pixmap
: customization, use layout name label by default). I just have to
: implement it ASAP:) Though I don't really understand why it is
: workaround (which problem does it actually workaround?:)
About flag customization:
This issue ("is customization needed?") exists only if you
1. forgot what pixmap is not necessarily contains flag of some country
and forgot what name of pixmap is not necessarily named same as
xkb-layout. (My co-worker prefers see number of xkb-group, for example).
2. you have high-quality color balanced image of flag that can shown in
any combination of brightness and contrast of monitor. Don't forget
about background color of panel also. Always possible situation when
color of your panel background is same or near to same as colors used
3. Remember example about Irish, when keyboard layout totally British
but pixmap -- Irish. How to do without customization of pixmap?
4. Yet another example: how to draw Ukrainian flag (in what colors)? In
colors of real flag or in colors that can be reproduced by monitor
without displacing (physical) of eyes (light-blue and yellow colors
are hard enough for monitors and too bright for be comfortable). At
this time just two pixmaps exists -- one correct politically, second
My vote is for make customization possible. Keep in minds that pixmap
is not necessarily flag of country!
Andrew W. Nosenko (awn bcs zp ua)
] [Thread Prev