Re: [Usability] Window List (not the applet)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 12:00:47AM +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
<snip>
> > One way, as IceWM does it, is to have a special branch for the sticky
> > windows. Another way is to list them on each branch.
>
> I'd prefer listing them on each branch; after all this is consistent with
> the way the workspace switcher shows sticky windows.

But is that a good thing for the workspace switcher to do? :-)

> > And what does Arrange do?  Might it be the way to provide MxN layouts?
> > (See Alan Horkan's message.)
>
> Arrange places all windows on the screen on a position that minimizes
> overlap.

All _selected_ windows, right?

 Would metacity be able to do this well with the hints we have now?

> > If Undo is desirable, then it makes the automatic dismissal I proposed
> >  undesirable.
>
> In fact the icewm window list doesn't disappear after an action has been
> performed.

I think Undo would be a good thing to have here, so dismissal on action
should be omitted.

> > I see I omitted something where I was quoted.  That would be clicking
> > mouse button 2 _on the freespace of the desktop_, not just anywhere.
>
> You're talking about the middle mouse button, right? I always thought that
> was mouse button 3?

Well, it could be. :-)  That's why I prefer to call them by number.

The default setup I've always seen is:
   _________________
  /        |        \
 |    1    |    3    |  Two button mouse. Clicking both is button 2.
 |   1  |  2  |  3   |  Three button mouse.

This way the "right mouse button", the one for right-click menus etc.,
is programmatically the same regardless of how many buttons the user's
mouse has.

Cheers,
Greg