Re: [Usability] Re: [Gphpedit-devel] Pre 0.4.0 release almost ready

[back onlist]

On 20 Jun 2003, Andy Jeffries wrote:

> Date: 20 Jun 2003 15:30:22 +0100
> From: Andy Jeffries <andy gphpedit org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Re: [Gphpedit-devel] Pre 0.4.0 release almost
>     ready
>
> On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:18, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > From looking at the website and the program itself I assume we are talking
> > about Folding and unfolding the tree view (but I cant be sure that you are
> > not talking about Folding/hiding paragraphs).
>
> It's about folding/hiding paragraphs.  It's new functionality that is in
> CVS (sf.net gphpedit module: gphpedit) but not released yet (until I
> sort bindings out)

I am a firm believer that if in doubt copy someone else unless you have a
really good reason to do otherwise.  Innovative solutions need to be
nearly twice as good to compensate for the difficulty caused
by inconsistancy.

It would be negligant of me not to point out that the HIG recommends
against using Alt keys for keyboard shortcuts (for portability reasons if
I recall correctly) but rules are not absolute.  However a better choice
of keybindings may be available.
You might not even need two keybindings depending on how the feature
behaves (if a paragraph is already folded then the keybinding would unfold
it).

Hope that helps, thanks for making the effort.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/