Enough with the Protocols already [Re: [Usability] two lines of launchers]

On 31 Jul 2003, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> 	Things like the QuickLounge applet are great for experimenting with new
> features in the panel, but if the feature really should be sharing code
> with the rest of the panel it doesn't belong in a separate applet ...
>
> Good Luck,
> Mark.
>

> [1] - A first guess is that we could provide a launcher tray which
> contains all the launchers at a specific URI - e.g. a favorites:// tray

For crying out loud stop suggesting new "protocols".

BAD BAD BAD idea.

How many times must it be said?
Was there not already a concensus that this was a terrible idea?

Memorable URLs/Links/Locations are hard enough without trying to remember
whole new "protocols"

How long before we see these "protocols"
like this
a:/
c:/
d:/

Favorites is an American word.  Favourites is an English word.
Localisation disaster area.
When you have 2000 of them Favourites is a bit of misnomer anyway, I
might have a link to something that is not my favourite (KDE for example,
I like it but it sure isn't my favourite.)

"Those who do not understand Unix are doomed to reinvent it
Poorly"

Unix, everything is a file*.

Create a file for bookmarks/favourites/shorcuts/links whatever you want to
call it and stick with it, ideally use a standard or try and set one.

If you want a folder that shows all the avialable launchers isn't that
what vfolders are for?

Enough with the suggesting new protocols already, I am sure I have left
out several of the ways in which creating folder are a really bad idea,
this has come up before and there are certainly more criticism in the
mailing list archives.

/ENDRANT

Sincerely
Alan Horkan

* true but not as true as Plan 9 where even more things like
network sockets are files.