Re: [Usability] Terminology change: Reduce Newism

From: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
I recently noted that a Nautilus string was changed to "Create
Folder"/

Then I will need to file a report asking them to revert that.

Yeah, especially considering that virtually every other file manager in existance using the New Folder terminology. [1]
I had hoped they whole Launcher terminalogy would be dropped long ago and
replaced with "Shortcut" (was it Anna or was it the Sun usability review
that pointed out how this confused users?).  I dont really appreciate the
distinction of a Launcher being a shortcut/link to a program.
I strongly feel that terminology like Launchers instead of Shortcuts and
Druids instead of Wizards were just changes for the sake of being
different that actually harmed usability.

Shortcut is already used to describe keyboard shortcuts, and hence i believe the docs team wanted to avoid having a single term with more than one meaning. I think i filed a bug on this once as well.

Examples of Newism can be found in Epiphany where we have "New Window",
"New Tab" and "New Bookmark".

In many situations Tabs are about window management, you are not so much
creating a New Tab as you would create a page or a sheet in workbook as
creating a Tabbed View.
I do believe the are potentially cases where Newisms could be removed.

First we don't have New Bookmark in epiphany. We have "add bookmark" and "bookmark link" as menu commands, although I'd prefer that we revert to "Bookmark Page" in place of "Add Bookmark".[2] Regarding New Tab/Window. I've never really been comfortable with the concept of a New Browser window/tab. Users don't manipulate browser windows, they manipulate web pages. The main issue has always been the fact that there is no simple way to open a new web page (url, web address, file addresss etc.) withough first opening a browser. One idea that I've been working on is a simple panel applet for opening urls (and searching). [3] At least for me, this has eliminated my need to ever open a "New Window" in either nautilus or epiphany.[4]

You may have noticed in Abiword that we dont have "New Header" or "Insert
Header" we just have "Edit Header" and if one does not exist already we do
the obvious thing and create one for you to edit.

<snip/>
Actually now that I think about it we might just need to remove the verb
entirely becuase of ugly redundancey of having the menu Edit, then an menu
item repeating the word Edit again. The devil is in the details.

Sounds innovative! :) Edit->Header is probably good enough. Alternatively you could just allow direct manipulation of the header in the document, although I haven't use abi in a while so perhaps there is more to it than that :) dave [1] Though I do wonder if I may be somewhat at fault here. A few months back I considered using create instead of new, but calum sufficiently convinced me that it was a bad idea. [2] When "add bookmark" was in the file menu we used "Bookmark page..." Considering that both links and pages can be bookmarked in epiphany i think "bookmark page.." is probably a better label. [3] Not to advertise my own project or anything :) [4] In fact in nautilus i think the concept is even more absurd as all file system location should be available from the desktop imo (ala macos, windows etc.).