Re: [Usability] New Nautilus File Exists Dialog

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 14:05, Stephan Bayer wrote:
> I have made a Mockup for a new Nautilus File Exists Dialog.
> See it at: http://www.onkelb.de/nautilus/
> Your inspirations are welcome.

This dialogue box should probably not exist... if I drop an icon on top
of another, replace the lower one, and put it in the Trash.  If I want
to see the properties of the two files I can use the properties dlog.
If I want to rename one, I can already do that in Nautilus.

I'd rather see a scrollable status log, "file xxx copied to /where,
file /where/xxx overwritten, original saved in Trash", and if
*really* necessary, a popup at the end to say, "136 files had duplicate
names and were overwritten; the originals were saved in the Trash. Use
Undo From Trash to restore them" or something.

Similarly, Save As should be implemented as dragging into a file
manager window, i think.  Some old useability studies at Sun appeared
to support this quite strongly, too.

Best,

Liam

Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org
Author, Open Source XML Database Toolkit, Wiley August 2000
Co-author: The XML Specification Guide, Wiley 1999; Mastering XML, Sybex 2001