RE: [Usability] ui-review of new modules

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 16:04, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> > These ones, such as epiphany and gnomemeeting, have never had any real
> > ui-review so they should be quite easy to do, and quite possibly very
> > interesting. You get to go where no one has gone before and make a very
> > visible difference to some popular applications.
>
> Regarding epiphany, there is very little if any pixel pulling or label
> churning needed in epiphany. Throughout the 1.0 design cycle seth, me and
> others have spent a considerable amount of time working on the ui. Thats not
> to say its perfect, but the usability bugs that epiphany has aren't going to
> be worked out in a ui review [1].

Yes, I've noticed your excellent efforts today while reviewing the
epiphany bugs. Still, it might be nice to summarize the ui-review state
of epiphany. Otherwise, I guess I'll add a link to this email in the
archive.

>  On the other hand file roller's ui still
> needs work. [2]

Are there any particular bugs open about it?

> One area where epiphany/I could use help is in docs writing. A skeleton for
> the help docs already exists in cvs, just needs to be filled out. Any
> volunteers?
>
> dave
>
> [1] I'm really starting to question the usefulness of ui-reviews. They tend
> to only address skin deep layout problems

Sure, but there's nothing wrong with doing the stuff that needs to be
done, even when you'd like to do other stuff too.

>  and do nothing to address
> interaction problems which are the biggest usability bugs in gnome right now
> anyway.

The deep problems will always take a long time to discuss and organise,
based on our experiences so far. That kind of stuff just has to be
released when it's ready. But the ui-review could take care of the
simple stuff and still make a real superficial difference to the user
experience. Anything that makes any progress is good.

> [2] Despite my hate of quit buttons, it would be nice if file roller at
> least followed the gnome hig and used quit instead of exit.

Bug?

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net