Re: [Usability]GNOME main menu and panel

On 2003.01.16 13:31 Jeroen Verhoeckx wrote:
Hi Dave,

So Ximian is behind the two panel structure. They have
to think commercial, so it is strange that they choose
this structure. (I know you are not sure about ximian)

I don't have a clue what you mean.

I don't say that you have to copy Windows!! But they
did something good. Right now KDE is even much further
in the development of a usable desktop that Microsoft
or Apple. So we have to look at them. (I use KDE too)

What did they do good, please be specific. In what ways is KDE further ahead in development... details, details, details. Grandiose but empty statements like these are insulting and of no use.

We have to think as a user, so we must make it easy to
use. But we also have to keep it proffesional. Right
now GNOME even has to little functions. The
configuration menu must get much more functions. That
makes GNOME more attractive than other desktops.

We are trying to think like users, and employ users to give us feedback via mailing lists such as this one or the various bugtracking systems of GNOME and the distros. We are quite aware GNOME should be easy to use (hence this list), it's an interface to your computer! GNOME is pretty scant on features but this is precisely for the reasons you are arguing, to make it easier for the user. Lots of functions doing not very useful things are merely going to confuse and disorientate users. Primarily GNOME is supposed to allow you to use your computer effectively and productively. Aside from administration you can work perfectly capably in GNOME as is. What functions do you think we need, and in what menus should they go. Functions to merely fill a menu.

summury: GNOME must get a modern interface
(nice icons, nice theme etc.)

I'd say GNOME has a modern interface. It implements contemporary graphical design (and is themable if you don;t like it) and some very new ideas about GUIs. It is modular and all in all a great infrastucture to build software on. What constitutes modern and how should we implement it? Those would be _useful_ critisisms.

The stock icons of GNOME far exceed those of other interfeces in quality in my opinion.

Greetings GNOME user Jeroen Verhoeckx (the
netherlands)
Jeroenverh2002 yahoo com

I have to work now.........