[Usability] Jeroen's beef

Hi Jeroen -

The usability group gets a lot of suggestions from a lot of people about
things they don't like. The panel and the GNOME Menu are definitely
amongst the most common (throw in Metacity and that's about 90% of
them). GNOME's purpose is not to emulate Windows, nor is it to emulate
MacOS, nor is it to emulate any other OS. We don't choose not to align
ourselves with Windows on any issue because it's Windows; we choose to
do what we feel and what our research indicates is the best user
experience for our users.

> I think there should be a survey about what
> people(users) like more.

Such a survey is a simplified form of a usability study, which is really
the only real argument you can give. Please feel free to try to perform
a documented, unbiased usability study as to what behaviors users find
the easiest, most intuitive, and convenient. Such a study should
necessarily include prior experience with other graphical environments.
Likely you would find that users whose experience consists primarily of
MacOS will prefer the panel at the top of the screen. Windows users will
likely align themselves with you.

Furthermore, if this issue is significant enough to you, I would
encourage you to patronize distributions of the GNOME desktop that have
default configurations that suit you the best. RedHat's 8.0 and Phoebe
releases default with the panel at the bottom of the screen as you would
like.

Havoc will have to forgive me if I misstate this, but the location of
the panel and menu is something on which the opinions of users will
greatly differ. A default setting must exist. And where merely a
plurality, not a majority, of users will differ in their preferences, we
try to make reconfiguration of these defaults as easy and flexible as
possible. This is why you will find a plethora of panel and menu
configuration options, because no majority of users or developers agree
there is a "best" way to configure the panel and menu.

Thank you for your input on the subject, and for your aid in
translations. If you can present a usability study that links a greatest
comfortability with a lone panel at the bottom of the screen that is not
dependent on prior experience with Windows, I'm sure the usability group
and the GNOME project would be very interested to read that study. I
know I would.

-jag