Re: [Usability]GNOME main menu and panel

Hello Jeroen,

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you about the ideal number of
panels! I recently upgraded to Windows XP, and find it
intensely annoying that my icons are now on the same panel
as my window list.

This one panel (the Windows XP Taskbar) now contains:
- Start menu button
- Icons (application launchers)
- Window list
- Clock

I have several icons, so only 50% of the panel is available
for the window list. As I frequently have quite a number
of windows open, each entry in the window list is often
reduced to such a small size that it is not useful, and I
must open several windows before finding the correct one.

I much prefer GNOME! I have customized it so that my
icons, the clock, and the workspace switcher (another huge
advantage over Windows XP) are in the top panel, leaving
the bottom panel free for the window list.

As Dave said, those who prefer to have a single panel can
customize their desktop -- put everything (icons, window list,
and so on) on the top panel, and then delete the bottom panel. It's
only necessary to do this once -- just save the setup when logging out.

(You might even like to create a new panel, and use that as
your basis for customization. Right-click on the panel, and select
Add to Panel -> GNOME Menu. This will give you a single menu
similar to that described in the other part of your mail.)

Of course, if it turns out that more people prefer the
single-panel model, then two-panel fans like myself can
add a second panel and customize :)

Just giving my tuppenceworth -- I think this is really a
personal preference, so it might be worth doing a little
survey to find out what most people would like?

Regards,
Breda.