Re: [Usability]GNOME main menu and panel

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 06:43, Jeroen Verhoeckx wrote:
> Does anyone know who is responsible for the GNOME main
> menu?? Because it's terrible!!

I think the menu is nice although it did take a little adjusting to get
used to it.

> For example: screenshot as a main menu???? strange,
> strange. How can anyone take GNOME serious this way?
> Gnome must get a new menu, probably something like
> WindowsXP.

If you want the look and feel of Windows XP then use Windows XP.  I
think the menu on XP is horrible and pretty crappy.  I get frustrated
every time I have to use it at work.

People of KDE are also working on something
> like this. (I think it will be even better that XP)
> Can someone write a program like this?
> I would like to help designing the interface...

You're more than welcome to code something up yourself and present it to
the maintainers if you think your ideas are better.

> And does anyone know who is responsible for the choice
> of having two panels as default instead of just one at
> the bottum?

I think the two panels at the top are great.  If you want to feel like
you're using XP or KDE then by all means use them.

> Because this simply doesn't work. (Where is the
> usabilty?????) It uses more space than needed. It
> looks terrible when you have your window maximized.
>
> GNOME will never been taken serious and will never be
> used by the mass if this doesn't change.
> The default must be one panel at the bottum!!!

Really?  That's quite a statement you're making there.  So, if GNOME
doesn't look like Windows then it won't be taken seriously?

> I would like to see GNOME more usable and used by more
> people.
> It's also very important for companies like Ximian if
> they want to sell there software. (Companies have to
> take the software serious)
>
> Greetings jeroen
>
> send an email to Jeroenverh2002 yahoo com

If you feel GNOME's usability needs attention then I'm sure the
usability team wouldn't mind some input but telling them the way it is
right now just sucks probably won't go over well with them or anyone for
that matter.

Damon