Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: [Usability]Music player UI

Le lun 24/02/2003 à 20:55, Mark Finlay a écrit :

> > > Nautilus is a navigation-centric film manager. Rhythmbox as it stands is
> > > a meta-data organised, library based music player. These are two totally
> > > different metaphors and if mixed will IMHO create a horrible ui.
> >
> > gawd... thanks for the smack upside the head.  not sure where that came
> > from. <:)
>
> mm, yeah. I'm quite opinionated about nautilus in general. I really
> don't like the whole idea of internal viewers. I think that things
> should be kept simple and clean. There is no need to have a go and
> bookmarks and other file manager related menus avalible when you only
> want to play some mp3s.
>
> So yeah, wasn't snapping at you, i think the idea of an
> nautilus-integrated music player just scared me :) I Think jorn would
> agree ;)
>

> > > CD: Enhance and clean up the current gnome cd player. Give it ripping
> > > functionality while retaining the ability to use it as a really simple
> > > cd player.
> >
> > Yeah, I think you're right on this, too.   I really like your idea on
> > the CD player - I use grip right now, and I like it, but it's kinda
> > nasty from a newbie standpoint.  Maybe all apps that can add rip files
> > into one's media library should have a standard "rip" button of some
> > kind?  (Probably not using the word "rip" though.  Gotta love the crazy
> > imagery, esp on Unix/Linux systems... kill, zombie, burn, rip, etc... ;)

What about if Nautilus could treat Audio CDs as normal CDs ? When
inserted, the CD icon should appear. When you open the CD, its tracks
should appear as normal files (their names should be taken from CDDB).
Copying those tracks should be done using a ripper software and save the
tracks to vorbis files (or wav, that should be configurable)
automatically. Then, if you right-click on a folder containing only
audio files, you should have "Burn to Audio CD" and "Burn to CD-ROM"
options.