Re: [Usability] Downloads recommendation

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 16:10, Boris Goldowsky wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 05:00, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > we experimented with a different downloader design with 1.2. While I
> > think we reached some interesting results, it doesnt seem to be mature
> > enough to actually make 1.2. Maybe you can help us solving the problems
> > or showing us that we are going in a wrong direction.
> > Safari behavior is very similar and I'm somewhat surprised given the
> > number of the issue it raise. Maybe our implementation is just not
> > mature enough ...
>

> I wonder if it would make sense when a file is downloaded to automatically
> open (or raise) the filemanager window showing the downloads directory -- rather than
> a separate "downloads" window of the web browser -- so that all normal
> filemanager operations could immediately be performed on the new file
> (preview, rename, move it to a different directory, double-click to open,
> open with different app, delete, etc).

Agreed.
This reduce the objects types.So that could reduce cognitive attrition
against new nonpower-users.
I'm for the "one way to do thinks".
When you use a dialog you force the 'navigational approach' against the
'spatial' one.

> It seems like that would have a lot of power for frequent downloaders,
> be very quick for downloading multiple files, while at the same time not
> introducing anything additional to learn for newcomers.

Another idea is to abort the use of a dialog and save files directly
into the desktop.
The desktop is the real workplace for users.
When the files are downloaded they can DnD everywhere using the spatial
way to do thinks.

bye,

Luca Cappelletti

--