[Usability] Adding Enviornment Variables to gnome-session-properties

Currently there is no standard way to set Enviornment Variables in GNOME (that I am aware of), would it be possible to add a tab in gnome-session-properties to set some variables ?

I am currently running GNOME 2.4 on Debian testing, and am having a tough time getting mozilla-thunderbird to be set to the sensible-browser (I use dhelp constantly, and you have to set BROWSER to whatever browser you want to use, by default it is set to konqueror on my box) and it would be nice to be able to set Enviornment Variables in a single place.

Thanks,
   Mike Petersen