Re: [Usability] Adding Enviornment Variables to gnome-session-properties

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 11:58, Mike Petersen wrote:
> Currently there is no standard way to set Enviornment Variables in GNOME
> (that I am aware of), would it be possible to add a tab in
> gnome-session-properties to set some variables ?
>
> I am currently running GNOME 2.4 on Debian testing, and am having a
> tough time getting mozilla-thunderbird to be set to the sensible-browser
> (I use dhelp constantly, and you have to set BROWSER to whatever browser
> you want to use, by default it is set to konqueror on my box) and it
> would be nice to be able to set Enviornment Variables in a single place.

I prefer to use sensible-browser as well, so I (as the administrator)

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

and select my preferred browser (which happens to be galeon). Then I
don't have to worry about environment variables (though if I did, I'd
set them in .bash_profile, since gdm loads that on login).

Still, as a Java developer, I'd really like to be able to set the
JAVA_HOME (and maybe PATH) environment variable in the GUI somewhere.
Other than that, most of the apps I use don't really use environment
variables (thankfully).

mike

--
Michael R Head <burner suppressingfire org>
http://suppressingfire.org/~burner/