Re: [Usability] UI proposal for icon selector

On 01/12/03 12:20:33, Julien Olivier wrote:

I think it's a bad idea to talk of themes here. IMO, users should only choose the icon among the current icon theme, and the icon should change when the theme changes. That said, there should be a

I agree that the current icon theme is what matters most. New users might not even know about other icon themes. However, I think it's a bad thing to force users to use the file selector for anything that goes beyond that, when a big and nice icon list is already part of the GUI. IF the new file selector allows shortcuts, your idea of using them sounds reasonable. But then, the file selector won't have a preview pane, will it?

own launchers. And I even think that application icons shouldn't be
available, because they are already mapped to an aplication. For
example, the "mozilla" icon shouldn't be available for custom
launchers

This is a good point. However, there's lots of icons in /usr/share/ icons/gnome/48x48/apps that are not tied to a specific application. Take gnome-favourites.png or gnome-joystick.png.

In fact, you should only see the "devices" icons and the "custom" icons.

What about the mimetypes? As nautilus lets you select custom icons for any file these would have to be listed as well.

Stefan