Re: [Usability] UI proposal for icon selector

> As an image speaks more than a thousand words, here's what I came up
> with in the gimp:
> http://www.chromosomnia.org/_img/icon-chooser01.png

Hi !

I think it's a bad idea to talk of themes here. IMO, users should only
choose the icon among the current icon theme, and the icon should change
when the theme changes. That said, there should be a "Use a custon image
file" available, like on your mockup. And this option should open the
file selector defaulting to ~/ but with (if it's possible) shortcuts to
the different icon themes installed on the system.

The second thing, which is not 100% related to your mockup, is that
there should be more custom icons available. By custom icons, I mean
icons that aren't used by anything but could be used to decorate your
own launchers. And I even think that application icons shouldn't be
available, because they are already mapped to an aplication. For
example, the "mozilla" icon shouldn't be available for custom launchers
(as it is already associated to mozilla's default launcher) but there
should several web-browser-like icons to use in your own launchers. More
over, when GTK stock icons will be merged in the icon theme (which
should be the case in GTK-2.4), those icons shouldn't appear either. In
fact, you should only see the "devices" icons and the "custom" icons.

What do you think of that ?

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>