[Usability] Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox tray icon - again

Colin Walters wrote:
1) Is this feature total crack or not?

IMHO not total crack, no.

2) If it's not crack, is it a good idea to do this on left click?

Clicking on the icon should display more state than currently represented by the icon, and showing the RB window seems to be a good way of doing this. I think the main point of the left click is quick access, so it seems reasonable here. (+1)

As Douglas McMorris said, it also aids discoverability (+1), but this may backfire for a new user. (-1)

So we could would be do display the annoying "You have asked me to do this, here's how you undo it" dialog box the first time a user hides the window, but this is crack. (-1)

Another way around this would be to display some hiding animation, similar to what Metacity does for minimising windows, but this is probably outside RB's scope.

So doing the sums, the feature comes out as +0 - I'm pretty ambivalent about it. :) I guess it comes down to your personal usage patterns - do you change songs alot or not? Perhaps make it a hidden pref, or perhaps make the icon a visible pref which defaults to off, and leave the left-click functionality there.

Either way, the "Show/Hide Window" menu item should stay.

3) Also if it's not crack, shouldn't we have some sort of standard
terminology for this?

Probably, yeah. "Hide/Show Window" seems reasonable to me.

Again I agree with Douglas: The status icon really should display some actual status. It should display a different icon depending on what the current source is (library, radio, audio CD, etc), and use an overlay to indicate what it is doing (playing, connecting, burning, etc).

But perhaps that is another argument for another day.

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <jabber:mjg jabber vee net> <http://web.vee.net/>