[Usability] Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox tray icon - again

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 03:34, Colin Walters wrote:
> 1) Is this feature total crack or not?  One concern - could it
> potentially be confusing to newbies who have accidentally hidden then
> window and then don't know how to get it back?

I consider it total crack.

Some people consider the interaction model of RB to be that it sits in
the background, and now and again the user interacts briefly with it,
before sending it to the background again.  Sounds like how I interact
with Evolution, should that be able to hide to the notification area
too?

[at this point I deleted 20 lines of why random apps in the notification
area sucks, on the grounds that everyone has heard it several times]

I believe the real reason for the notification area being used is that
it makes it easy to pause/skip the song, and then if the user decides
they want to see the full window they don't need to move the mouse, just
click.  This brings up the topic of applications adding to their
window's context menu (in the window list) -- if this were possible most
of the current UI issues would be solved.  People could right-click on
the entry in the window list and pause/skip/etc, if they wanted more
they could then left-click and the window is bought to the top.

I'm partially agreeing with Sean Harshbarger here -- an applet appears
to be the way to go.  People who routinely use the notification area run
RB for long lengths of time, and want the UI to be quickly available.
How about an applet which will control the running RB (if there is one),
or offers a very simple UI to the playlist otherwise?

I'll probably reply again after my bath...

Ross
                                      jabber: ross jabber debian net
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./