[slightly off-topic] Re: [Usability] HIG: Close button

"Andrew W. Nosenko" wrote:
[Disclaimer: this not about HIG, but about my personal preferences.]
IMO, any windows (including dialog windows) should have way to close its
without "close window" icon from WM decoration. Rationale:
1. Under X11 you can start application but don't start window manager at
   all.  (And I use this way from time to time).  Therefore, you will
   don't have "close" icon from WM.

I think it is pretty damn near impossible to expect gnome and its HIG to work with any window manager that is broken. That is just not going to happen and shouldn't. [1] Hence if an app sends wm-hints that a window should have close buttons, minimize buttons etc. and the wm ignore those hints the wm is broken and needs to be fixed.[2]
2. WM's "close" icon at decoration is smaller than "regular GTK+
   button" (and it is normal).  Therefore, WM's icon is harder to plump
by mouse and requires more time (~ 5 sec. vs. 0.5 sec. in my case).

This is a legitimate issue. One way to increase speed here is to limit the amount of accidental clicking of other window buttons by seperating close from minimize and maximize. Also while i do suspect that the wm button might be slightly slower than a large close button, I'm pretty sure for most users the difference won't be so dramatic when timing with the stop watch. [3] dave "still not trying to start a flame war about close buttons in dialogs"

[1] Its worth mentioning that even Metacity is a little broken as alert style dialogs should not have window buttons or visible window titles, but that will get fixed once there is a standard hint. [2] There is also a HIG bug regarding what are the window manager expectations of gnome apps. [3] Exception to this of course are users who have disabilities, but for these users we also provide keyboard shortcuts and other accessible ways of accessing window actions.