Re: [Usability]Rethinking Home Folders (A Perspective Personal Vision)

On 4 Apr 2003, Luca Cappelletti Infodomestic.com wrote:

> Date: 04 Apr 2003 20:02:33 +0200
> From: Luca Cappelletti Infodomestic.com
>     <luca cappelletti infodomestic com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability]Rethinking Home Folders (A Perspective Personal
>     Vision)
>
> Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to propose my point of
> view regarding home user filesystem hierarchy.

> Nowadays I reformatted the home/someuser folder hierarchy in a Gnome
> 2.x environment to accomodate home working desktop users that doesn't
> know anything about computer.

Several months ago on the list desktop-devel i suggested "A Few good
folders" roughly along the lines of what you have suggested but far less
extensive.  I figured it was such a simple idea that it must have been
something that people had thought of already, and i just wanted to know
more but there did not seem to be any solid ideas on how best to do it.

I have not read the desktop-devel list in months and i have no idea if
anyone came back with any followup on the idea.  I should probably check
it out over the weekend.  There is definately potential to guide users
into keeping their files ordered in a sensible and more manable way.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/