Re: [Usability]Rethinking Home Folders (A Perspective Personal Vision)

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 19:02, Luca Cappelletti Infodomestic.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I don't know if this is the right place to propose my point of view regarding home user filesystem hierarchy.

I think that some of it is at least relevent because you're testing
gnome on windows users.

> Every Shared folder rapresent a link to the
> home->Shared->usernameX->Documents

If launchers weren't so broken you could probably use .desktop files
instead of symbolic links. But anyway, the stuff related to file sharing
isn't really relevant to the desktop i don't think

> I've tried to learn thinking about simplicity and one way to do thinks.
> I think that is necessary to include:Documents,Pictures,Downloads,Multimedia(Audio,Video),Works,System folders to accomodate immediatly necessity from the user to understand where are resources without learning again the wheel.Image users coming from OS X or WinXP.
>
> Why don't include as default structure and configuration into Gnome sessions (KDE too or GnuSTEP...).

I wrote an article that may be related to this:
http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/abstract/index.html

Also having a set of standard folders on the desktop or in home has been
discussed before. I use it myself and think that it should be used in
gnome by default. Hopefully well get something like this in 2.3/2.4

see also:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-January/msg00273.html

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.