[Usability]Re: Gnome file dialogs

hi!

im totally new to this and im not sure if i have alot
of usability skills. so dont bash me if i repeat already
given feedback or whatever. =)

file type pulldown & fill type icon
-----------------------------------
i find it kinda confusing that the icon for the filetype
is on the left side, the pulldown for it is on the right
side. i would put things, which relate to the same thing,
together.

file name input box
-----------------------------------
to put that below the directory/file lists would, in my
option, me much more natural. people check things from the
top to the bottom. so when i would select a directory and
then enter the filename, i would have to go from the top
to the bottom of the dialog, and then up again to enter
the filename.

even when i just enter a a filename, i would just go to
the bottom. a one way movement.

searchbar
-----------------------------------
it took me actually kinda long to figure out what its about.
i first thought, i would be able to search for files in
that dialog. then some micampe gave me then hint that its
more something like the location bar in nautilus.

its a nice feature. but i think a) the term is really misleading,
b) im not sure if its the right place to put it there. it just
looks a bit confusing to me. i cant think of better integration
for it right now, but definally will think about it.

i also dont really understand what the arrow buttons are doing?
do they move around in the directory selected by the location
bar or by the directory list bellow it?

basically what could be done:

+ remove the 'show searchbar' button.
+ make the location pulldown smaller. there is not a need for that
  huge pulldown, it takes way too much space.it could basically be a
  32 x 32 icon and when you click on it you get that little popup
  menu.
+ remove the up, left, right icons and replace their function with
  a nice shortcut

for the search i dont know, since i still dont clearly understand
how it works.

i hope that feedback was somewhat constructive. thanks for your
work! =)

ciao!
florian