Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialogs

Am Fre, 2002-09-27 um 13.20 schrieb MM:
> Take a look at the new "Purple sunrise" release.
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/

Nice, very nice. But there are some things that I don't like with your
current design: I know that switching to nautilus offers great
possibilities but we shouldn't shock the user with thousands of options.

The open file dialog:

seen in your downloadable package you're trying to currently add
emblem-filters to your dialog. I'd like to have a »Filter files« button
in the navigation bar that opens a detailled dialog (as possibilities of
emblem-filtering are big enough for a new dialog).
As your dialogs are not even trying to be HIG-compliant, I made a sketch
of the open file dialog with the »Filter files« button (we need an icon
for that) and the HIG-design (although I know that the file-type icon
shouldn't appear there according to HIG).

	http://www.gnome-de.org/dialogs/open-file.png

The save file dialog:

You're trying to also add emblem support for saving files. But I think
that a GtkOptionMenu is the wrong attempt for that. I'd like to see a
separate »Emblems« dialog (like nautilus' emblems dialog). As you can
have more than one emblem for a file (hardly realizable with a
GtkOptionMenu) and you can add user-defined emblems (hard to implement).
As mentioned above the save dialog isn't HIG-compliant either. I'd
recommend a design very similar to the open file dialog-ones.

--
sven