Re: [Usability]prefs dialog recommendation

Am Mon, 2002-09-16 um 12.37 schrieb Jeff Waugh:
> <quote who="Sven Herzberg">
>
> > 4 or more pages:
> > Use the gimp-tree (the code is very well readable) an the gimp
> > headlines. The advantage of a tree is that you are not limited in depth
> > (in contrast to galeon1.2 - where you were actually able to group pages
> > but you were not even able to have a title page - with a description of
> > the section for the user). It gimp-tree also benefits from the ability
> > to group items (which is not possible in galeon2 if i see this
> > correctly). The nautilus-list doesn't need many changes to look like a
> > gimp-tree.
>
> This is similar to gedit's tree preferences... It puts the gedit logo on the
> title pages, as they're not immediately useful for anything. Is there any
> need for them in a HIG-happy version?

Currently thinking about gnumeric1.1's [1] or OpenOffice's [2] prefs
dialogs i think they can be used very well. The only problem i see is
that most developers (including me) don't like to write long explanation
texts, but »the end user« would like to see such pages (iirc the corel
draw suite does this kind of explaining too). Users may not be familiar
with special terms the program uses. But to shorten labels often these
terms are used. So especially for newbie-users it would be a feature to
help configuring their aplications.

--
sven

[1] http://www.gnome-de.org/stuff/screenie-gnumeric1.1-prefs.png