Re: [Usability]Galeon 2 usability

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 09:16, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > What we need to do is spec out the MIME stuff on freedesktop.org, and
> > get it shared by mozilla, openoffice, gnome, kde. This is one of the
> > current major disasters of the Linux desktop, that we haven't fixed
> > this. I bug jrb daily since he made the mistake of claiming to know
> > how to do it. ;-)
> >
> > It's not that complicated, just needs some initiative.
>
> I really hope to see it happen, is there anything a simple user like me
> can do? This is one of the most important things to do if Linux wants to
> get its share of the desktop.
>
> Don't forget another "major disaster" of the Linux desktop: the lack of
> common system config tools. At the moment you have an incredible
> assortment of desktop-specific (GNOME, KDE control centers),
> distro-specific (Mandrake, RedHat, SUSE, etc.) and general issue
> (Linuxconf, Webmin, misc progs)  tools, are we ever going to have a
> single set of tools to do the job? I like the GST (ex XST) idea: a
> backend which can be shared among different distros/environments and
> customizable frontends. Hope they will get a boost ASAP.

I sort of agree with you here. However, one reason GST did not take off
is that the distributions see configuration and management tools as a
prime area for differentiation, and are thus reluctant to pick up a
common set. This even makes sense in a way, as different distros are
angling for diffreent customers and uses and thus want to tailor the
tools for different audiences.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel.    +46-046 222 8588             Dr. Janne Morén
Home:   +46-046 211 4973             Dept. of Cognitive Science
Fax:    +46-046 222 9758             Kungshuset, Lund
                                     S-222 22 Lund, Sweden