Re: [Usability]Galeon 2 usability

Havoc Pennington wrote:
What we need to do is spec out the MIME stuff on freedesktop.org, and
get it shared by mozilla, openoffice, gnome, kde. This is one of the
current major disasters of the Linux desktop, that we haven't fixed
this. I bug jrb daily since he made the mistake of claiming to know
how to do it. ;-)

It's not that complicated, just needs some initiative.

I really hope to see it happen, is there anything a simple user like me can do? This is one of the most important things to do if Linux wants to get its share of the desktop.

Don't forget another "major disaster" of the Linux desktop: the lack of common system config tools. At the moment you have an incredible assortment of desktop-specific (GNOME, KDE control centers), distro-specific (Mandrake, RedHat, SUSE, etc.) and general issue (Linuxconf, Webmin, misc progs) tools, are we ever going to have a single set of tools to do the job? I like the GST (ex XST) idea: a backend which can be shared among different distros/environments and customizable frontends. Hope they will get a boost ASAP.

[Sorry for the off topic rant ...]

Ciao

--
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      e-mail:	rosselli cisi unito it
Dipartimento di Scienze			rosselli ling unipi it

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)