Re: [Usability]Re: Right Click the same as Ctrl+LeftClick???

fre 2002-11-29 klockan 19.17 skrev Alan Horkan:
> I think users discover very little on their own, but then i am
> dissillusioned by some of the users i have tried to help.
> I wonder about discoverability, most people dont know about Insert
> & Overwrite share the same key and wonder why characters are being
> overwritten with no clue of how to get out of the situation and need to
> be told it once.  It is something only the most curious users would
> discover by themselves.

This specific problem could probably be solved by more visible feedback.
Not many users I have observed knew what the cyptic abbrevations in the
status bars of their text editors or word processors meant, or that one
of these was tied to overwrite/insert of the keyboard.
It's sad that keyboards don't have LED:s that show if "Insert" is
toggled or not, like they do with Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock. I
think it could at least solve the problem for the users that have learnt
to monitor the keyboard LED:s.

Christian