Re: [Usability]Re: Right Click the same as Ctrl+LeftClick???

<quote who="Alan Horkan">

> The thing is that a Mac user never _NEEDS_ to know.
>
> You should be able to do just about anything albeit in a slower and
> clunkier manner with only a mouse or only a keyboard.

You should be able to do that in GNOME, too. If you can't, it's a bug. (This
gets complicated when introducing system-specific stuff like changing
network information, etc).

> If a mouse only has one button, then it is pretty hard to get confused
> about which one to click.

The haven't-touched-a-computer-ever-before users I've dealt with were
confused up until the point they realised there were two buttons on the
mouse. Then they either a) used the bigger one, or b) experimented for a
moment to see what each one did.

Note that b) would be a lot harder to get to if Ctrl was used to 'turn on'
the second mouse button.

> I am still going to keep trying to convice developers not to bury things
> in context menus though.

Everything in the context menu should be discoverable elsewhere in the user
interface. From the HIG:

  "Since the user may not be aware of their presence, do not provide
  functions that are only accessible from popup menus unless you are
  confident that your target users will know how to use popup menus."

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/menus.html#menu-type-popup

If you find anything like this, bugzillaise them. :-)

> I'm sure glad i did not ask about "single click"  like in KDE and
> Microsoft Active Desktop ;)

Off-by-default, but available since Nautilus was released.

- Jeff

--
      "Are you XFire's crazy girlfriend? And if so, shine on you crazy
                          diamond!" - Paul Cameron