Re: GNOME Menu (was: Re: [Usability]Re: UI Review Suggestions - Panel)

<quote who="Roberto Rosselli Del Turco">

> Food for thought for GNOME 2.4

Hey hey, great stuff.

> Main
>     Personal info
>     	About myself
> 	Change password
>     ------------
>     Open Recent
>     Run program
>     Search for files...
>     ------------
>     Lock screen
>     New login
>     Log out

Awesome! Though, oddly enough, I would suggest going with "GNOME" for this
very public menu name. Or something more globally descriptive than "Main".
(The difference here is that it becomes relevant all the time, rather than
just a description in a context menu.)

> Applications
>     Multimedia
>     Game
>     Office
>     Net
>     Database
>     Development
>
> Accessories
>     Archiving
>     File tools
>     Monitoring
>     Text editors
>     Terminals

I'd combine these. The Accessories menu you have here has categories for
things that 'normal' users would only want a single icon for, such as
terminals, text editors, etc.

> Preferences
>     Desktop preferences
>     GNOME System Tools
>     ------------
>     Linuxconf
>     Webmin

I'm still not confident that a top-level Preferences menu is a good idea.
Like Mac OS X, Preferences could fit very well into the first Main menu.

> Help
>     GNOME help
>     Linux guide for beginners
>     Howto in english
>     About GNOME

Hmm! Interesting! I'm sure the docs guys will love you for this suggestion.
:-)

- Jeff

--
         "Stick to your guns and get it right." - Havoc Pennington